View the range of start-up support programmes we offer:
Digital Track Programme – North of Tyne Digital
Digital Track is a North of Tyne Combined Authority funded programme that helps would-be techpreneurs to explore their digital business ideas. Delivered across Northumberland, Newcastle and North Tyneside, the programme is open to anyone who is not already working for themselves.
The Business Factory North Tyneside
The Business Factory is North Tyneside Council’s award-winning business start up service which helps you explore your abilities and look at the possibility of starting and growing a business.
Tees Valley Business Start Up
The Tees Valley Business Start Up offer is for individuals with the seed of a business idea, this programme offers the opportunity to meet with a business advisor and develop a tailored and personalised business support package designed to meet specific start-up needs.
Enterprise Support North East
We are a delivery Partner within the Enterprise Support in the North East 2 project. This is a business start-up project being delivered across Northumberland, Tyne and Wear and County Durham.
HMRC know that most Small & Medium Enterprises want to get things right but may need help to do so. We particularly want to help customers as they face key business life events, including starting in business, taking on an employee, registering for VAT, importing/ exporting and incorporation. To aid this our Partner Service offers:
Regular and varied communications
• Information emails, these link to help and support for a particular or timely theme, for example Self Assessment or the Budget, or to new or topical services and products.
- E-learning packages for self- employed customers and employers. Starting your own business for the self-employed covers all aspects of starting and growing a business. Becoming an employer deals with taking on and paying employees. Thousands of businesses have already used these and found they’re a great way of learning.
- A range of webinars. These enable customers to attend a seminar at a time to suit them. We have both live and pre-recorded webinars covering a range of topics. Customer feedback tells us that these are a good way to get started.
- A selection of short videos on YouTube covering subjects such as Registering as Self-Employed, PAYE, Record Keeping and Construction Industry. These are a really useful way to get a quick overview on various subjects.
- Business help and education emails is a free service to provide customers with emails from HMRC that are tailored to their needs. They are designed to help customers understand what they need to do and how to get it right first time.
- Record keeping for mobile devices will enable customers to access apps to help make life a little easier for busy people on the go. A ready reckoner is also available to help customers budget for their first tax bill and our tax help fact sheets are a good source of straightforward guidance that customers can download from our website.
- @HMRC Business Help is a Twitter account designed to provide help to business. We tweet about our educational products, upcoming tax matters and online guidance. Followers can also ask us general queries via twitter, but we cannot discuss any individual’s specific tax issues.
- Business Support Tax App allows access to all the above via your tablet or mobile device: on Apple i-store or Google play
HM Revenue & Customs – HMRC e-learning courses
Starting your own business? Got a lot of questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses? If so, these HMRC e-learning courses are for you.
How long does it take?
It’s entirely up to you. You can work through the learning at your own pace and at a time that suits you. You don’t need to do it all in one go, you can dip in and out as you need it and even come back to it at a later date.
• Starting Your Own Business – on the HMRC website
• Tax Advice for Driving Instructors (DIA) – on the HMRC website
• Tax Advice for the Construction Industry – on the HMRC website
• Tax Advice for Childminders – on the HMRC website
• Tax for Foster Carers – on the HMRC website
• Tax for Shared Lives Carers – on the HMRC website
• Exporting Goods (UKTI) – on the HMRC website
• Trading with other EU Countries (UKTI) – on the HMRC website
Watch HMRC tax information videos on YouTube
You will find lots of ‘bite-sized’ tax information videos on HMRC’s YouTube pages. If you need reassurance, quick help or are just interested in finding out more about a subject like statutory payments then this may be the option for you.
Online seminars for businesses and the self-employed
Webinars are free online presentations that enable you to attend a seminar without leaving your desk. HMRC offers a wide variety of live and pre-recorded webinars on subjects such as business expenses for the self-employed, operating PAYE in real time, statutory sick pay, VAT awareness and many more.
Find out more about HMRC webinars – Online seminars for businesses and the self-employed
Online Business Start-Up Workshop
Our online (hosted live) business start-up workshop is for anyone with a business idea who wants to take the next step and move it forward. It will give you the skills and knowledge to run a successful business. If you are thinking about setting up your own business our workshop is ideal for you and is FREE to attend.
At TEDCO we successfully deliver a range of start-up support programmes designed to take ideas and turn them into successful enterprises and business start-ups in the region.
One of TEDCO’s key objectives is to provide individuals and businesses with the ambition to expand, the advice and necessary tools to scale-up and grow their business.
As the key delivery partner for Virgin StartUp in the North East, we have helped over 300 new businesses access £4.2 million in low cost business loans over the past five years.