Our team of advisors work tirelessly to support business start-up in the region and we tailor our range of programmes to assist new enterprises in meeting their business goals.
Start and Grow
Since 2015, our flagship Start & Grow programme has helped hundreds of businesses access help from our advisor team to establish routes to start-up, business planning, one-to-one mentoring and support beyond the launch.
New Enterprise Allowance (NEA)
The New Enterprise Allowance (NEA) scheme works to support individuals currently claiming job-seekers allowance but looking to begin their journey in self-employment.
The Business Factory
The Business Factory provides support, help and guidance to start and grow your business.
Enterprise Support North East
Enterprise Support in the North East – or ESNE – is a one-stop-shop for anyone looking to start a business in Northumberland, Tyne and Wear and County Durham. The support is fully-funded and includes one-to-one mentoring with an advisor who can help an entrepreneur to develop a full business plan.
The scheme also provides access to a range of workshops that focus on the key building blocks to starting a business in a supportive environment. Workshops also represent an opportunity to meet and network with others also looking to start a business.
These include topics such as: Business planning, Sales and marketing, Social media, Company structure, Finance for your business
The Business Compass Start Up offer is part of the Tees Valley Business Compass. For individuals with the seed of a business idea, this programme offers the opportunity to meet with a business advisor and develop a tailored and personalised business support package designed to meet specific start-up needs.
The support is fully-funded and includes a variety of workshops covering everything needed to start a business. This supportive and collaborative environment also provides individuals with an opportunity to meet and network with others also looking to start a business. These include topics such as: Business planning, Sales and marketing, Social media, Company structure, Finance for your business
There are many workshops available across the Tees Valley region in Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Stockton and Redcar & Cleveland. The Business Compass programme also provides access to specialist mentoring for start-ups in the following sectors:
Advanced manufacturing, Automotive, Chemical and process,
Digital, Healthcare, Logistics, Low carbon, Oil and gas, Professional and business services, Culture and leisure
HMRC know that most Small & Medium Enterprises want to get things right but may need help to do so. We particularly want to help customers as they face key business life events, including starting in business, taking on an employee, registering for VAT, importing/ exporting and incorporation. To aid this our Partner Service offers:
These are tailored online presentations for your members that can be run weekly/ monthly/ quarterly, depending on the numbers attending, as part of a regular programme or as ‘pick and mix days’, if you’re running an event over a day. You can choose the subject(s) from our extensive menu of options and, as they’re live, your customers can interact with HMRC and ask questions.
Regular and varied communications
• Key Messages which feature important and widespread information from across HMRC.
• Information emails, these link to help and support for a particular or timely theme, for example Self Assessment or the Budget, or to new or topical services and products.
- E-learning packages for self- employed customers and employers. Starting your own business for the self-employed covers all aspects of starting and growing a business. Becoming an employer deals with taking on and paying employees. Thousands of businesses have already used these and found they’re a great way of learning.
- A range of webinars. These enable customers to attend a seminar at a time to suit them. We have both live and pre-recorded webinars covering a range of topics. Customer feedback tells us that these are a good way to get started.
- A selection of short videos on YouTube covering subjects such as Registering as Self-Employed, PAYE, Record Keeping and Construction Industry. These are a really useful way to get a quick overview on various subjects.
- Business help and education emails is a free service to provide customers with emails from HMRC that are tailored to their needs. They are designed to help customers understand what they need to do and how to get it right first time.
- Record keeping for mobile devices will enable customers to access apps to help make life a little easier for busy people on the go. A ready reckoner is also available to help customers budget for their first tax bill and our tax help fact sheets are a good source of straightforward guidance that customers can download from our website.
- @HMRC Business Help is a Twitter account designed to provide help to business. We tweet about our educational products, upcoming tax matters and online guidance. Followers can also ask us general queries via twitter, but we cannot discuss any individual’s specific tax issues.
HM Revenue & Customs – HMRC e-learning courses
Starting your own business? Got a lot of questions about tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses? If so, these HMRC e-learning courses are for you.
How long does it take?
It’s entirely up to you. You can work through the learning at your own pace and at a time that suits you. You don’t need to do it all in one go, you can dip in and out as you need it and even come back to it at a later date.
Watch HMRC tax information videos on YouTube
You will find lots of ‘bite-sized’ tax information videos on HMRC’s YouTube pages. If you need reassurance, quick help or are just interested in finding out more about a subject like statutory payments then this may be the option for you.
Online seminars for businesses and the self-employed
Webinars are free online presentations that enable you to attend a seminar without leaving your desk. HMRC offers a wide variety of live and pre-recorded webinars on subjects such as business expenses for the self-employed, operating PAYE in real time, statutory sick pay, VAT awareness and many more.
2 Day Business Start-Up Workshop
Our 2 day business start-up workshop is for anyone with a business idea who wants to take the next step and move it forward. It will give you the skills and knowledge to run a successful business. If you are thinking about setting up your own business our workshop is ideal for you and is FREE to attend.